Friday, October 17, 2014

GRILLED SALMON WITH AVOCADO SALSA


This is hands down one of my favorite dinner recipes!  I've been a salmon lover my whole life and grew up on some pretty amazing recipes, but as of right now this one is my favorite, which is saying a lot!  
This recipe provides a good source of protein, healthy fats, and tons of nutrients you need to refuel your body during training season.  Bonus: I even had left over avocado salsa and had it for lunch the next day on top of a baked sweet potato!  Which is an awesome source of carbohydrates for athletes.  

My top 3 reasons why athletes and everyone should eat more salmon:

1. Eating Salmon improves bone density and strength, combating inflammatory joint conditions such as osteoarthritis.  (thanks to small proteins called bioactive peptide)

2. Eating Salmon can help increase your cardiovascular health.  With its high levels of Omega-3 fats, EPA, and DHA you'll reduce inflammation and keep your blood flowing nice and smooth.

3. Salmon is an excellent source of vitamin D which is crucial on the path to obtaining optimal health and performing your best, while fighting cancer and other life threatening diseases.  

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did, here ya go!



Grilled Salmon with Avocado Salsa:

You will need....

-2 lbs Salmon, 4 pieces
-1 Avocado
-1 Tbsp chopped Cilantro
-Juice from 2 limes
-1 tsp Onion Powder
-1/2 Red onion, small
-1/2 tsp Ancho chili powder
-1 tsp black pepper
-1 tsp Salt (+ extra for taste)
-1 Tbsp Olive Oil
-1 tsp ground cumin
-1 tsp paprika powder
-a grill or panini make 

Here's what you do...

1. Mix the salt, chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion and black pepper together, rub the salmon fillets with olive oil and this seasoning mix
2. refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
3. Pre-heat the grill
4. Combine the avocado, chopped onion, cilantro, lime juice, and salt in a bowl and mix well, chill until ready to use.
5. Grill the salmon to desired doneness. (I grilled for about 5 minutes on my panini maker and they turned out divine!)
6. Top with Avocado Salsa and enjoy


This post can also be seen on Altra Runnings Blog { http://blog.altrazerodrop.com } Which I am now the official recipe guru of I guess ;) But if you're looking for running shoes, you need to try Altra's! {altrarunning.com} Seriously you won't find a more comfortable shoe, its all I wear!  

No comments:

Post a Comment